Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sugar Lettuce

I must say that I have a lot of books - A LOT OF BOOKS. More than I can read in fact. But one of my very favorites is the one compiled by Victor. I really enjoy the insights I have gained from reading about some of our closest distant relatives. One of my greatest finds was the historical context of lettuce with sugar on it. I remember eating this when I was young, and I always really loved it - and still do. Here is the excerpt from Victor's book:
"Five of “Grandpa” and “Grandma’s” children, Merrill, Lafe, Alvin, Harvey and Clint, made homes in Hurricane. Hilda in Toquerville; Nora lived in Paragonah, and Vern in Wyoming for a number of years. All eight had married in the Temple and were generally taking active roles in church and community activities. The Alf Hall home, across from Harvey’s at Second South and Second West was the scene of a more-or-less ongoing family reunion. By 1930 there were over twenty-five grandchildren in the immediate area. To a child of Harvey’s who grew up just across the street, it seemed quite normal to be in the midst of twenty to thirty close relatives. Arbon, born in 1917, frequently did chores for them. Grandpa was not demonstrative, but he did let Arbon know he was pleased with his work. Grandma pampered Arbon. She would prepare little treats for him and when he would sleep over on cold winter nights, she would heat bricks so the bed would be nice and comfy. It was no stretch for Grandma to be fond of young Arbon; so was everybody else. The writer, living just across the street, would be sent on frequent errands to his grandparents. By doing so he developed a taste for one of their favorite treats: lettuce with sugar on it. You take some lettuce leaves in the hand, sprinkle, or preferably pour, sugar on and the treat is ready. One such time Grandma had sprinkled the sugar on and Grandpa said, “Oh, put some more sugar on. They get danged little at home.” It was a true statement. Because of life-long industry and thrift, they remained financially independent in their old age. Their children, on the other hand, who were launching their own families just as the Great Depression settled in, were facing dire economic circumstances and could barely afford basic necessities. Emerson encountered a cousin one forenoon hurrying towards their grandparent’s home. She said, 'We’re going to Grandma’s to eat; and we’re going to have butter!'"

4 comments:

Vecchiocane said...

Rich this is what I like to see!
And for those visitors who don't know the connections:
(up) Andrea Hall Comeau > Richards Hall > Howard Hall > Vern Hall > Alfred Lorenzo Hall (Alf)
(level) See the first sentence for a list of eight of the 11 children of Alf and Julia Hansen Hall.
(down)Alf Hall > Harvey Hall > Victor Hall

That covers teh basics.

Big Bopper said...

Ah yes, lettuce with sugar and scrambled eggs with jelly. Yumm!

mr.math said...

It's been years since I've put sugar on lettuce, but I have put plenty of other stuff on it which is probably worse than a bit of sugar. Anyone have any idea from where the jelly and eggs thing came?

Evenspor said...

Depression stories put a real perspective on what we consider neccesities in these economic "hard times."