Friday, March 6, 2009

Vern's View of Major 1945 Events

During the summer of 1945, FDR died, President Grant died and George Albert Smith became the new prophet, and the war in Europe ended (while fighting continued in the Pacific theater).
Apr. 12.
President Roosevelt died today. Well he was bound to die in office. He will be remembered for the many liberal reforms that he championed but on the whole, the country has been rather poorly governed for the last 12 years. I don't expect any better the next 4.
Apr. 17.
Uncle Top (A F) Stout died yesterday. He'd had a lot of trouble with operations then just when they figured they had him cured he ups and dies. Seemed to lose interest. Maybe he wasn't as cured as they thot he was. Maybe when Roosevelt died there was nothing left for him to fight.
May. 5
... Oh yes, for gosh sakes, I almost forgot. President Grant died last night. It's awful the way folks are dyin' lately Roosevelt, Pres. Grant & Hitler. People dyin' that's never died before. Seriously Pres. Grant, in addition to being a great man in the industrial as well as the religious world, was the right man at the right time for the church. Under his leadership we have gained financial stability. Some are now saying George Albert will never be Pres. Not enough money back of him. If I read the signs right it's a spiritual leader that we'll need in the next few years. Bro. Smith is it. [Ed: This is an interesting historical insight into the succession of the Presidency of the Church.]
May. 7 Monday V E Day
I was lucky this morning being Monday I partook of the forbidden fruit and kept Mackey's radio so I got the whole works about the end of war in Europe right hot off the air. Gosh I'd like to go to England now. It'll be a while tho I guess.
...
Official news of war's end is(crossed out) was to have been announced at 10 A.M. but is held up by Russia. I'm afraid that's a bad neighbor. They take every situation arrogantly into their own hands.
May 8
They never did come out with any official announcement of peace in Europe yesterday. That was to come out at 7 this morning. I haven’t the radio to-day so will just have to pass it up. I'm going to celebrate right out in the garden any way.

2 comments:

Evenspor said...

This is great stuff. I wish I hadn't been too young to understand the world and history when Great Grandpa was still alive. I think I would have enjoyed talking to him.

Rebecca said...

I love these entries! It's so nice to hear it in his own words.