Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Alfred Lorenzo and Julia Elzina Hansen Hall

I was trying to find some material for a caller from Minnesota who thought I might have some details on Nils Hansen. He was right, I found a bunch of stuff HV had collected and written up.

Well, in the search I also ran across some good stuff on Julia Elzina Hansen (Nils Hansen's and Marilla Terry's youngest daughter) who happened to marry our great grandfather Alfred Lorenzo Hall. So here are some cool pictures and some random details about these fine folks.
First, some pictures of them as young people.














































Alf and Julia (according to some of HV's writings, she was nicknamed "dude" ...) had ten children, HV being ninth. Here are some pics of the growing family. That's HV on the ground at right (in the bottom picture) about 7 years old. The nice looking young man seated just to the left of Alf is Roy, the second oldest, who would die of typhoid fever on his mission in the Southern States about a year and a half after this picture was taken. The oldest, a boy named after his father, died in infancy/childhood (about age 3).





























I thought it was interesting that Alf and Julia deeded some of their property in Hurricane to Luetta after her marriage to Vern. I do not know the current disposition of that property, but I assume it was disposed of long ago. My understanding was that Vern turned over pretty much all of his holdings in Southern Utah to brothers and their families.


These two were fine looking people, and I may be wrong about this, but I think that what I have usually thought of as the "Hall" look, based on these photos, may be more the "Hansen/Terry" look. And not many of us can sport a cookie-duster like this one.



















I scanned two letters, one from Alf and one from Julia, to Vern and Luetta written in 1929, but I don't think they are going to work out in this blog (so you can read them). I will upload the JPGs to the My Family site.

It will be fun (I think, if they don't box my ears) to meet these ancestors one day. They would have some interesting tales to tell I'm sure.

2 comments:

mr.math said...

The eyes and nose in the bottom picture sure looks like HV and HG.

Big Bopper said...

If that top most photo is of Alf, then I think I have found a true ancestor indeed. I know grandma Eleanor always said I looked more like a McAllister than others, but I think I have Alf's face and hair (well, not literally HIS, just ones that resemble his)