[From the mission journal of John C. Hall, written in a form of shorthand that is no longer used. Vern Hall had it translated probably in the 1960’s. Scanned by Victor Hall in 2006.]
1821 Faversham. Kent, England was the year my eyes first saw the light on the 20th day of October at a quarter before 6 A M. My father’s name was Thomas Johnson Hall and was born July 25, 1797. His father's name was John Hall and his mother's name was Elizabeth. My mother's name was Charlotte Wright Her mother's name was Martha Wright. My parents were married in March 1819. On the 25th day of July their first child, Mary, was born who died October 20 the same year. One year from that time I was born, and my name entered in Faversham church registers as baptized on the 5th of November.
My father at this time was in comfortable circumstances, having some property of his own and receiving support from my grandfather, whom he assisted in his business, which was that of coal merchant.
1822. I cannot remember anything that transpired that year.
1823. This year my recollection commences for my sister Eliza was born and died, and I distinctly recollect a circumstance of an exciting nature taking place at the ferry. The horse upon leaving the boat and landing on the beach became restive and caused damage to the vehicle we were in.
1824. I do not remember anything happening that year.
1825. This was the year of the great panic in money affairs. My Grandfather Hall became much embarrassed in his business and meeting with losses could not bear up under it, but put an end to his existence with a pistol.
My brother Thomas was born August 16, 1826. I do not remember much this year except going to school.
1827. This year my father lived in Ospringe for a short time. We here had our goods seized for alleged debts of my father, who had left and gone to America. I was placed in a boarding school while mother went to London. In the former part my sister Charlotte was born, but she only lived a few hours.
[ed. 8 years, 5 children, 2 lived]
1828. To the best of my recollection, I was still in Faversham.
1829. Still in London till the close of the year when my father went to Warsham in Shropshire to take a school. We stayed there for a year.
1830 [ed. Book of Mormon printed, restored church organized]
1831. In the month of January, we returned to London. Lived for a season at my Uncle Wright's. There my father went to keep a school in the Hackney Road.
1832. Moved over to the White Chapel Road. In the close of the year, moved to Islington.
1833. Lived in various places till August when my father left to go to America, August 16. I went to work. [ed. not quite 12 years old]
Andrew M. Hall > Michael Hall > Howard G. Hall > H. Vernon Hall > Alfred Lorenzo Hall > John Charles Hall
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Actually, I had a key role in getting the John C. Hall missionary journal transcribed from the unique brand of shorthand to something legible to all. Sometime between 1976 & 1979 I acted as the intermediary between Grandpa Hall & a friend of mine, Jeanne Pulsifer (I will have to check on that name, it doesn't sound right, but I can't remember off the top of my head). She happened to be able to read this rare form of shorthand and over a period of months transcribed the entire journal. I believe Grandpa paid her for doing this, but I don't recall how much. I probably still have a copy of the original in shorthand, as well as a copy of the transcription. If anyone is interested, I'll look into it more to get my facts straight.
If you still have the original in shorthand, it might be fun to post a scan of one page of it. Don't spend too much time on it though; it would just be interesting.
Post a Comment